Create Effective Direct Mail Communication
Too many times marketers are so focused on design that they lose sight of the importance of good copy for great direct mail communication. They end up with direct mail copy writing that is talking at someone instead of to them. This is not effective direct mail communication. This is seen as preaching to your prospects and customers. There is no value in that. Don’t waste your time on copy that will not sell, after all that is the whole point to sell your product or service. Let’s look at how to make your direct mail copy sell.
Effective Direct Mail Communication is about:
- Connecting Authentically – Create real emotional connections with your prospects and customers. Provide them with copy and offers that are relevant to them.
- Share Your Values – Let customers and prospects know what is important to your company and what you stand for. Then all your communication should reflect that.
- Show Gratitude – Thank your customers for their business. They don’t have to choose you.
- Questions – Take the time to know and understand the needs of your customers and prospects. Answer their questions before they have to ask them.
- Testimonials – Be open and trustworthy; show your prospects on your direct mail what your customers truly think of you. Make them want to jump on board with you.
The more authentic your communication in your direct mail, the more trusted it is, so you are going to get better results. People do business with companies they like and trust. Do you approach your direct mail messaging in this way right now? Once you are including the 5 elements above you are ready to finalize your copy writing. To do that, there are 4 more things you need to include.
Direct mail messaging should include:
- Benefits – Let prospects and customers know how great life will be with your product or service.
- Create Urgency – Give them a reason to respond quickly.
- Highlight the Offer – Make sure it is clear and concise.
- Response – Tell them what you want them to do and how to do it. Give them more than one way to make a purchase.
The more time you take to write good selling copy, the better your results are going to be. It is critical to include these 4 items in your direct mail copy. Without all of them, your results will not be as good as they should have been. We always recommend having a person outside of your organization read your copy to make sure that it is understood in the way you intended it to be. There is nothing worse than flubbing your copy and making your customers and prospects angry.
So are you and your team ready to create the best direct mail communication yet? When copy writing is done correctly direct mail is very powerful. It is the only marketing channel that allows your customers and prospects to have a tactile experience. Take full advantage of that! Make it the best experience they have had with you yet!
Now that you are creating great selling copy you can take the time to get more creative with the design. Have fun with it, but remember that your copy writing is more important than a creative design! If your direct mail piece looks great but sends the wrong message it will be ineffective. Need help? Call us in San Diego at (619) 448-6111 or email email@example.com. We are glad to help!