Create Inspiring Direct Mail
Most marketers look at direct mail as a must do rather than a fun do. We need to turn that thinking around by creating inspiring direct mail. This is a fabulous strategy to drive engagement and sales! If you have been using direct mail for a long time, you may have reached the point where you continue to recycle the same strategy over and over again. It’s time to start a new strategy!
5 Inspiring Direct Mail Ideas:
- Create a memorable experience with A video mailer: McDaniel College wanted to reach out in a creative and memorable way to potential students and alumni. They used two different video messages for the 2 audiences. Video is an important marketing tool. How can you use a video mailer to grab attention an increase response? Check it out here: https://www.redpaperplane.com/blog-post/college-encourages-alumni-to-donate.html
- Turn a standard holiday card into an adventure: SS+K changed from a traditional flat holiday card to offering a 360° virtual reality bobsled ride. Here is how it works: The folds will turn the 2D card into 3D VR glasses. With the cardboard glasses the recipients get to take their seat in the bobsled. After sliding through banked turns, jumps, an upside-down loop and more jumps, the bobsledder will bash through a bank of snow at the finish line where they are greeted by cheering polar creatures that they’ve encountered along the way. Want to know more? Check it out: https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/direct/ssk_happy_holiday_adventure
- Unique invitations are fun: Enogarage created an invitation with a cutout wine glass sleeve, as you start to remove the invitation from the sleeve the win glass fills up. It is a great way to showcase the invitation in a fun and unique way. This is also a very cost effective way to do something different. Want to see it? Check it out: https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/direct/enogarage_wine_glass_invitation
- Playful and interesting: For World Water Day in Belgium a letter was sent out that could only be read when in water. It highlighted the importance of water and built more awareness. Check it out here: https://www.wdmonline.co.uk/10-creative-examples-direct-mail-marketing/ One more to showcase having fun. Planet Kids created a hand puppet invitation that was a hit with both parents and kids. How can you incorporate fun into your mail pieces? Check it out: https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/direct/planet_kids_invite
- Include other senses to increase engagement: Voyanga a travel company created a mailer that includes sound. You can listen to the sound of the sea coming from an image of a conch shell. This is a great way to get people to interact with your mail piece and share with others. They tied in the message of travel well with the call for them to respond to the sea. Check out the piece at number 10 on this list: https://www.urbanriver.com/10-creative-direct-mail-examples/
As you can see, direct mail can do and be more than you have ever thought of before! Don’t limit yourself to what you have always done! It will only limit your response. One thing to keep in mind as you get creative is to make sure that you are tying the creative to your message. Doing something fun while not incorporating it with your call to action and message is a waste of money.
Well-crafted messaging with creative that supports it drives response. Not sure it will work for you? Try a test. Grab a segment of your list and send the new creative to them then check your results. Are you ready to get started? We can help! Call us in San Diego at (619) 448-6111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are glad to help!