The first key to successful direct mail is your direct mail list. You need to send to the right people in order to get them to respond. Many times marketers struggle with their data files. There are strategies you can follow to create a successful direct mail list.
Picture your ideal customer
Who do you imagine responding to your offer? A great way to start is by studying your current customers. New customers will likely be similar to the people who currently do business with you.
Identify your best customers
Look at your own records—sales slips, invoices, delivery history and any other information you have on your customers. These tell you who your customers are, what they buy, how often they shop, and how much they spend. Look for the people who bought from you most recently, most often, and who spent the most money. This is called RFM: Recency, Frequency and Monetary Value.
Understand your model customer
Find out what your best customers have in common. Pay attention to characteristics such as age, gender, income, and where they live. One easy way to do this is to through Eye/Comm’s data analysis tools.
Utilizing survey research to identify consumers’ values, attitudes, and product preferences and combining that with U.S. Census data, we help you to build your direct mail list:
- Profile the unique characteristics of your best and most profitable customers.
- Target your selling messages to the right audience at the right time.
- Open new channels to reach your customers and prospects using the methods they prefer.
- Boost response through more specific, personalized offers (as opposed to generic, one-size-fits-all promotions).
- Build loyalty programs that increase lifetime value.
- Find more model customers
After developing a comprehensive profile of your model customers, Eye/Comm can find more people who fit that profile to create the best direct mail list, so you can tailor your direct mail message to match their needs and interests, and increase the chances that they’ll act on your offer.
- Identify and target new prospects most like your best customers.
- Boost your direct response rate.
- Increase your market penetration.
- Dramatically improve your advertising ROI.
- Track and analyze
Direct mail advertising is unique because it provides measurable results. By testing and tracking you can determine the most effective direct mail list, offers and creative. This will provide you with a better ROI as you improve your offers and creative to maximize response. Continue to add information from your responses to your data since the more information you have the better you can target the right people.
Are you ready to get started profiling your list? If you have any questions call us in San Diego at 619-448-6111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are glad to help!
Download 5 Reasons People Don’t Trust Your Direct Mail: