Turn your next direct mail campaign into the best one yet! Words are more than a means of communication, they can change our minds, drive us to do something and shape our emotions. So as marketers, how can we use words to drive the responses we are looking for?
Here are a few ideas:
- When picking out specific word choices, think about what emotion you are trying to illicit and what words will work best with that.
- Work to create the best emotion to drive your desired response
- Put yourself in your reader’s shoes. How does your message come across? Make sure to have others read it as well. Different perspectives can help.
- Testimonials work well since we like what others like.
- Make sure you provide what’s in it for them and why must they have it.
- Bullet points and bold messages get read first so use powerful words here.
- Make sure to back up claims with facts as people are naturally suspicious.
- Base your offer around helping people because everyone wants help.
- Make sure your call to action is there, clearly stated and easy to follow.
You cannot force people to buy from you, but you can influence them into making a purchase with the right words. A compelling idea, phrase or story can really make all the difference in driving people’s emotions and therefore their responses.
Note: this post was orginally published on http://sumgould.wordpress.com.