Before we get into how cool and powerful direct mail can be with augmented reality, we first need to consider it from the recipient’s perspective. When you create augmented reality that is done really well you create a one of a kind experience for recipients. That engagement experience will be shared with others very quickly. Empower your direct mail to go beyond anything you have ever dreamed of. The rewards can be amazing!
What can augmented reality do?
- Tracking – AR provides an easy way to track when a link is used, who is using it and what type of device they are using. This knowledge can all be added to your database for future use.
- Mobile – AR creates a way to link direct mail to mobile content. In order for the AR to work a mobile phone or tablet must be used.
- Engagement – With AR each recipient is spending more time with your direct mail and enjoying themselves. This gives you more time to get your message across and develop a deeper relationship with each person.
Usually the first thing we hear is that sounds great how hard is it? What do I need to do? So let’s take a look at what needs to be done in order to create great augmented reality.
How to get started:
- Trigger – First you need to create a trigger on your direct mail pieces that will launch your augmented reality content. You can create your trigger in an image using software such as Aurasma or Layar.
- Content – Next you will need to create your content. This is usually the most complex part of augmented reality. This is where the creative comes in. What do you want to do? The more interactive you make it the better your response is going to be. Design with the recipient in mind. Enhance their experience.
- Reader – Lastly you need to offer a reader that will launch your content. The reader is a mobile app that recipients can download for free. The information on how to do this and how to read the image needs to be included on your direct mail piece.
Now before you jump in you need to plan out how augmented reality will help boost your direct mail response while providing an excellent experience for your recipients. These two things need to come together cohesively in order to work properly. You are marketing your product or service, just in a new interactive way. Try sitting down with some of your customers and bounce ideas off of them. Ask lots of questions about what they would like to see, interact with and share. You can then incorporate that information into your design and implementation. Steve Jobs said “ You’ve got to start with the customer experience and work back toward the technology – not the other way around.”
Get creative, this can be really fun and exciting for you as well as your customers and prospects! We can help, call us in San Diego at 619-448-6111 or email email@example.com. We are glad to help!