Lots of people will tell you what to do in email marketing, but we thought it’s more important to know what NOT to do. There are really a lot of mistakes you can make that will lower your response rates.
So here is a list we have compiled of the top 10:
- A terrible subject line:The subject line is the key to getting your email read. Put some real thought behind your subject lines. Test them to a segment of your list to see which one works better and then send that email subject line to the rest of the list.
- Avoid sending emails too often: There should be no need to send more than one or two emails per week. Bombarding people will only make them angry and turn your emails into spam.
- Sending to people not subscribed:Make sure you are sending to opt-in addresses. Do not send marketing emails without getting permission. You will be blacklisted and unable to send emails anymore.
- Hard opt-out:Keep an easy short link for people to opt-out. It is better to send fewer emails to the right people.
- Too much sales pitch:You need to nurture your subscribers. Do not go straight into the sales pitch. Include other useful information to help them.
- Spam looking text and links:Keep words like FREE, DOWNLOAD NOW and so on out of your email. Use graphics for your download or click links. You want to stay away from the spam filters.
- Sending non-related content:If someone signs up to get emails about tools, do not send them emails about flowers. Keep the content relevant to what they want to know.
- Not testing:Make sure that all your links and personalization work by sending yourself and others a test message. You should view your email in multiple browsers/email programs to see if there are any issues with formatting as well.
- Bragging:Do not brag about yourself. Focus on what you can do for them, help them. They are the focus.
- Excessive media:? Using too many images or too large video files will cause delivery problems. Limit the number of images and sizes of video files imbedded into your emails.
So, now that you know what NOT to do. Were you making any of these mistakes? Now you know better and can increase your response rates. Have fun creating great email marketing campaigns.
If you have any questions call us 619-448-6111 or email email@example.com. We are glad to help!
Download 15 Email Marketing Tips Now: