The success of your direct marketing depends on an accurate, targeted and personalized mailing list. Variable data allows you to interact with your customers and prospects using sophisticated personalization to drive higher response. Variable printing significantly boosts ROI by delivering response rates 7-times greater than conventional direct mail. Just because a last name is of certain descent, doesn’t always mean they are of a specific ethnicity.
With Variable Digital Printing, you “vary” each printed mail piece to show different graphics, copy, offers or photos specifically designed to appeal to each individual recipient. It can be as simple as a personalized letter or as complex as a full-color brochure.
To create a powerful direct marketing with variable data printing you need to consider 5 things:
- Full color or black only variable: Variable black and white laser printing gives you low-cost options for personalized letters, coupons, forms, and reply devices. You offset print a color shell and add variable black text. Full color variable gives you more flexibility with design, images and other color aspects. You can really make much more custom looking pieces with full color variable.
- Do not assume: Use only the information you have in your data for your variable. Do not make assumptions about people, you can be wrong and offend them. Just because a last name is of certain descent, doesn’t always mean they are of a specific ethnicity. Stick with known facts.
- Data Enhancement: When you do not have a lot of information in your data files you can enhance them. Complete a data analysis and take advantage of a powerful array of new market segmentation tools that draw on continually updated data and industry expertise. Data enhancement segmentation provides valuable insights into consumer behaviors. By utilizing survey research to identify consumers’ values, attitudes, and product preferences and combining that with U.S. Census data, the segmentation tools give you a lot of information.
- Check and triple check: It is vital to triple check your data files, design files and images. This is the most common error in VDP. Make sure the correct person is getting the correct offer with the correct design and images. Have other people outside your organization look it over and make comments. Many times we see what we think is there and not what is really there. Scrutinize everything.
- Tracking and Analysis: Direct mail advertising is unique because it provides measurable results. Through testing and tracking you can determine the most effective lists, offers and creative. With VDP you can also gain valuable information on customers and prospects to add to you data files. You will also be able to develop a strategy for success, mine the best intelligence from your responses, evaluate your ROI, find response trends to improve the ROI for future campaigns and improve your offers and creative to maximize response.
Remember to be creative. VDP can really create an impressive direct mail piece. If you have any questions call us in San Diego at 619-448-6111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are glad to help.