The USPS has announced many changes to the self-mailer requirements.?The post office is extending a 1 year compliance period from Jan 2012 to Jan 2013. During that period the current mail piece designs will be accepted. Starting Jan 5, 2013, you must comply with the new rules as outlined by the post office.
Here are a few of the most important changes:
- The new maximum size for a self-mailer will be 6 x 10.5.
- The maximum weight will be 3 ounces.
- No perforated tabs.
- No loose pieces inside of self-mailers, they must be attached with a glue dot or folded over an inside mailer flap.
- The tab sizes will vary between 1 inch, 1.5 inch and 2 inch tabs depending on the paper stock and folding.
- Minimum paper stock thickness will be 70# up to 1 ounce, once you go over 1 ounce the minimum is 80#.
- The maximum number of mailer panels is 12.
- The final folded edge will only be acceptable below the mail panel or to the right of the mail panel.
Here is a link with detailed descriptions and illustrations of the new requirements. Due to the complexity of the new regulations, if you are planning a self-mailer, call us to discuss the most cost-effective options. We can help you with what paper stock to use as well as the best layout to save you money.
If you have any questions call us 619-448-6111 or email email@example.com. We are glad to help!