Planning The Best Direct Mail Campaigns
So many times we see poorly planned direct mail. It takes time to plan out effective direct mail campaigns. In order to do that we need to not only look at what you should do, but also what you should not do. We will start with the don’ts first.
5 Don’t For Direct Mail Campaigns:
- Overcrowd – Using too many images and too much copy is overwhelming
- Generic – You need to target your offers, so they should never be a generic one. Specific offers get response.
- Rush – Just because you can push to get you mail out fast does not mean you should. Time spent on strategic planning is essential for sending quality mail that gets response.
- Send alone – Your direct mail campaign should tie into other channels in order to amplify your reach and increase response.
- Send once – Direct mail works best when you reach out to people several times, especially if they are prospects who may not know about you.
So now that we know what we will not do, let’s take a look at what you should do with your direct mail. We don’t want our direct mail to be boring; there are plenty of fun ways to use direct mail to drive response. Technology is the key to better direct mail. There are so many more things we can do to integrate mail with mobile and online content to increase engagement and more keep coming out all of the time. The pace of change in marketing right now is staggering.
First focus on the strengths that direct mail has. Those strengths are targeted, tactile and scheduled. Take full advantage of these with well thought out lists, texture, smell, inks and tracking. Direct mail is considered to be trustworthy so use that to your advantage too. The use of any of these can turn your drab direct mail into fab. Creativity can abound and customers/prospects will enjoy it.
Fun direct mail ideas:
- Textured or coated paper – Make your message pop when recipients get to feel your message under their fingertips. This is relatively inexpensive and can provide a good lift in response.
- Dimensional – Dimensional mail are mail pieces that are not flat like normal, but have dimension such as boxes or tubes. Postage on these is more expensive.
- Endless folds – Create a fun and entertaining mail piece by taking a normal folded piece and creating a whole new look. These go beyond visual stimulation by requiring recipients to touch and manipulate the piece.
- Video – These mailers have an audiovisual player that is embedded within them. The video content is played after opening the mailer or pushing a button.
- Scavenger hunt – Launched with the direct mail piece you can send your customers on a fun adventure.
- 3D – Create a mailer with 3D images, send some 3D glasses along with it and let the fun begin.
- Ink – Try using some of the fun reactive inks out now that change color with temperature and more.
These are just some of the creative ways direct mail can be used. Get your customers excited about your direct mail. There are so many new and fun options you can be taking advantage of. Not everyone has a budget to do the more expensive fun things, so for those who don’t consider what you can do differently while staying within your budget. Coatings and texture are a good place to start. Let’s create better direct mail and have fun doing it!
Need help? Call us in San Diego at (619) 448-6111 or email email@example.com. We are glad to help!