Email Marketing Subject Line Tips
Did you know that 47% of email recipients open an email based on the subject line alone? At the same time, 69% of email recipients report email as spam based solely on the subject line. Therefore, the single most important part of your email marketing is the subject line! You need it to be powerful to get them to open it. The best email subject lines are short, descriptive and give the reader a reason to read more. Stay away from using cheesy phrases, they will be ignored. The best thing is to keep your subject lines simple and to the point. As a general rule in email marketing, keep your subject line to 50 characters or less.
Top 5 Email Marketing Subject Line Tips:
- Limit Time – Subject lines that include words that imply time sensitivity such as urgent, breaking, important or alert have proven to increase email open rates.
- Build Curiosity – Ask a question, promise something interesting, or simply say something that sounds strange or unusual.
- Funny – If you are able to make people laugh with your subject line, they will be compelled to open your email. Be careful with your humor though, you do not want to offend anyone.
- Discount – People love to save money so give them a discount.
- Personalized – Did you know that including a name can boost open rates by 10-14%? Time to get personalized!
Also make sure all your emails are mobile optimized, the majority of people are reading your emails from their phones. A couple more things to keep in mind are avoid using ALL CAPS or exclamation marks in your subject lines. The “from” information can be almost as important as the subject line. It needs to work together with the subject line. The “from” line should communicate who you are as the sender.
Remember to A/B test everything to determine what works best for your audience. From length of your email marketing subject line to colors of the buttons, everything is worth testing and tweaking to get the best results. Keep in mind that email marketing when used as part of a multi-channel campaign is very even more effective, so don’t just send out emails add other channel touch points to increase your results. Are you ready to get started?
If you have any questions call us in San Diego at 619-448-6111 or email email@example.com. We are glad to help!